Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Blog #3

The organizational habit that I discussed involved clearing space on my hard drive and bookmarking courses on my Internet browser. I found that clearly room on my hard drive allowed me to stay considerably more organized by dividing my courses into titled folders. Try going on your computers and look in your Documents folder, I think a lot of people have can agree that they have a large amount of miscellaneous documents that are due for a deleting, digital clutter. I also create bookmarks for my courses on the tab below the URL, I find this advantageous because it allows for a more direct path to the course website. It may not seem like it does much organizationally but I argue a “one click away” system helps me get to a site quickly, which personally makes me visit the site more readily.
There are many ways someone else could adopt my system but organize it differently. They could create a folder for the whole specific semester, for example you could create a Spring’11 folder or even be more specific and call it JanSpring’11.
Bookmarking is fairly straight forward, so variations in bookmarking seems tough to discuss, but there are a variety of ways that Internet browsers can act as organizational tools. I personally use Google Chrome because I have been accustmned to their layout, I know that with Chrome you can use iGoogle which is a tool that acts as a customizable homepage.
There are many ways to organize your computer documents, some methods work better for others but the computer is a very customizable device that can be a very useful tool if you want to treat it as one. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on this. I'm a huge fan of bookmarking. The one-click-away makes a world of difference in my daily life, as I'm always having to go to the DTC website, my syllabi, the WSU catalog, and student DARS reports. Click, and done. Over the course of my week, I bet I save a hour on not having to find these pages yet again.

    ReplyDelete