Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Blog #5 implicit meanings

This idea that Weinberger discusses that, "the meaning of a particular thing is enabled by the web of implicit meanings we call the world" (170) makes sense. The meaning of a particular thing is based on the implicit meanings attached to it, various items evoke certain meaning depending on the relationship someone has to it. Everyone does not respond to specific things the same, especially if that specific thing has significantly less relevance to you personally.
The third order of order discusses the concept that information is metadata that can use an idea in multiple way or contexts. This concept of order may not be useful for a particular, but instead a variety of order and definition.
The song that I chose is Dramamine by Modest Mouse. The song brings back memories of high school and the people that surrounded me during this time. I think of specific times of year that I played this song frequently, my girlfriend at the time, driving my car shortly after getting my license, the fact the band is from my high school. It is interesting how a melody can be attached to various implicit meanings, I thought this would be difficult to do but all I did was play the song and it all came back to me.

5 comments:

  1. I think it is interesting how songs bring back specific memories. I find them like smells. How some smells bring back certain memories just like songs. It is cool how our brains can connect a song with a certain point in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh do I have some memories with Dramamine as well; good song selection. Maybe I am not seeing where your image is, but I would love to see what you would have created. Modest Mouse always has the greatest lyrics and Dramamine is no exception.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that song, and that album. Weren't you guys like 10 when that came out? Then again, I listened to the heck out of the Pixies in high school...most of which came out when I was a youngin', so I guess this somehow just happens.

    Anyhow, this is a good general post. I would've been curious to hear a bit more unpacking of the quote, but you got the gist. Also, I would've liked to see a drawing making your implicit connections explicit. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy that you picked a song about an a drug for reducing motion sickness. It makes me wonder what kind of driver you must have been shortly after getting your license. It also makes me wonder about connections we all make. I would have never known what the name of the song meant if I had not goggled it and i wonder how many people have fallen in love with this song and have no idea what the title is about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is interesting how a song or a smell for that matter can refresh old experiences and memories. That song must mean a lot to you and I'm sure it will come in handy if you ever want to remember those things later on.

    ReplyDelete